IF YOU ENJOY SR AND FIND IT USEFUL WOULD YOU PLEASE DONATE

When I began Schwartzreport my purpose was to produce an entirely fact-based daily publication in favor of the earth, the inter-connectedness and interdependence of all life, democracy, equality for all, liberty, and things that are life-affirming. Also, to warn my readers about actions, events, and trends that threaten those values. Our country now stands at a crossroads, indeed, the world stands at a crossroads where those values are very much at risk and it is up to each of us who care about wellbeing to do what we can to defend those principles. I want to thank all of you who have contributed to SR, particularly those of you who have scheduled an ongoing monthly contribution. It makes a big difference and is much appreciated. It is one thing to put in the hours each day and to do the work for free, but another to have to cover the rising out-of-pocket costs. For those of you who haven’t done so, but read SR regularly, I ask that you consider supporting it.

— Stephan

AVAILABLE FOR THE FIRST TIME

Trump announces sweeping new tariffs, upending decades of US trade policy

Stephan: 

I have been predicting since Trump was sworn in as President that the United States will be in recession by June, and the American economic sectors, farming, construction, manufacturing, healthcare and others will be in crisis. If you actually look at the list Trump is holding you will see he is putting tariffs on unpopulated islands. I urge all of you to begin thinking about what you can do to protect yourself from what this ignorant psychopath and his fellow racist fascists are doing to damage the United States. It is going to get very personal.

Trump announces sweeping new tariffs, upending decades of US trade policy. Credit: The Guardian

Donald Trump announced sweeping tariffs on some of its largest trading partners on Wednesday, upending decades of US trade policy and threatening to unleash a global trade war on what he has called “liberation day”.

Trump said he will impose a 10% universal tariff on all imported foreign goods in addition to “reciprocal tariffs” on a few dozen countries, charging additional duties onto countries that Trump claims have “cheated” America.

The 10% universal tariff will go into effect on 5 April while the reciprocal tariffs will begin on 9 April.

“This is one of the most important days, in my opinion, in American history,” Trump said in a long-winded speech on the White House lawn. For decades America had been “looted, pillaged and raped” by its trading partners, he said. “In many cases, the friend is worse than the foe.”

Over the past few months, Trump has rattled global stock markets, alarmed corporate executives and economists, and triggered heated rows with the US’s largest trading partners by […]

Read the Full Article

No Comments

The IRS unit that audits billionaires has lost 38% of its employees since January, new data shows

Stephan: 

As I told you yesterday, it is my view that Trump made a deal with a group of fascist billionaire oligarchs to dismantle American democracy and give them a level of influence and control they have never before attained. If they would buy him the Presidency through the weaponization of heavily funded, by them, misinformation that deluded resentful low IQ, low education, White supremacist, male dominance voters once he was in office he would see that that they would get billions of tax payer dollars for their companies, and that the IRS would not investigate their tax returns very closely. Well, that is exactly what is happening, as this report describes.

The IRS’s unit that audits billionaires and other ultrawealthy individuals has lost 38% of its employees this year amid the Trump administration’s slashing of the federal workforce, according to new data obtained by ICIJ. The office, known as Global High Wealth, employed 353 people before the cuts and has experienced a far higher rate of terminations compared to the IRS as a whole, the data shows.

The unit’s losses have left behind unfinished audits of ultrawealthy individuals and cases that have either stalled or are being closed, according to four current revenue agents within the high-wealth office. The agents spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the press.

The losses are a big reversal for the IRS’s recent effort to step up its tax enforcement among the wealthiest Americans, who authorities say account for a disproportionately high share of tax cheating. Under the 2022 Inflation Reduction Act, Congress allocated the IRS $80 billion in additional funding, in part to strengthen its efforts to audit wealthy individuals and large corporations. However, Congressional Republicans have clawed back […]

Read the Full Article

1 Comment

 JD Vance is now in charge of making museums racist

Stephan: 

Psychopath “monarch” Trump has always been a White supremacist, as was his father before him. Now, seeing himself as an authoritarian leader of a fascist pseudo-democracy who can not be overruled, he is rewriting American history, as this article describes. As he does this, the spineless MAGAts in Congress are silent, and the American people themselves, as the voters of Florida made clear yesterday, they support the destruction of their democracy.

Vance will be in charge of whitewashing America’s museums. Credit: Associated Press

President Donald Trump launched a new attack on a revered American institution on Thursday night—a habit of his—with an executive order instructing Vice President JD Vance to begin purging the revered Smithsonian Institution of exhibits that do not align with Trump’s vision of white male supremacy.

The Smithsonian is a group of museums mostly located in Washington, D.C., and a zoo that are revered and respected around the world for preserving American history and culture. The attractions are one of the crown jewels of America’s capital city and one of the primary reasons more than 25 million people visit Washington each year.

Trump wants to change that.

In his executive order titled “Restoring Truth and Sanity to American History,” Trump falsely argues that the Smithsonian is part of a “a concerted and widespread effort to rewrite our Nation’s history, replacing objective facts with a distorted narrative driven by ideology rather than truth.”

This is the language Trump and other members of the conservative movement […]

Read the Full Article

No Comments

Travel Cancellations Surge as US Faces New Decline in Tourism: Canada, Western Europe, and Mexico See Increased Interest in Alternative Destinations

Stephan: 

As this article says, “For decades, the United States has consistently ranked as one of the top three most visited countries in the world.” Well, that’s over. If you work in any part of the tourism industry you may very well be out of work in a few. months. The status of the United States has fallen so dramatically because of psychopath “monarch” Trump and his fascist vassals in Congress that tourism, traditionally a multi-billion dollar industry is radically declining. And, I think, the tariffs “monarch” Trump imposed Wednesday are going to significantly exacerbate this decline.

Credit: Travel and Tour World

For decades, the United States has consistently ranked as one of the top three most visited countries in the world. Major cities like New York, San Francisco, and Chicago, alongside iconic national parks like Yosemite, have long attracted international tourists. This, combined with the US’s role as a global business powerhouse, made it a travel hotspot. In 2023, the country welcomed 66.5 million visitors, and the numbers for 2024 were expected to be even higher. However, recent developments, including the political landscape and internal shifts, are beginning to change attitudes towards the US, leading to cancellations and a noticeable decline in tourist interest.

Political and Cultural Shifts Impacting US Tourism

In a surprising shift, the reelection of Donald Trump as president in 2024 has caused a significant change in foreign diplomacy, relations, and perceptions of the United States. These shifts, combined with polarizing domestic policies, are having a clear impact on the US tourism sector. A recent report by research firm Tourism Economics revealed that inbound travel to the US is now projected to decline by […]

Read the Full Article

No Comments

Susan Crawford wins Wisconsin Supreme Court race, defying Elon Musk

Stephan: 

Finally, we have some good news. You have probably already heard that Susan Crawford has beaten Brad Schimel for the Wisconsin Supreme Court despite the tens of millions of dollars Elon Musk spent trying to buy the election outcome for “monarch” Trump and his MAGAt cult. The media is covering all this, but as I have thought about what happened today I realized that what they aren’t covering is what I think is really happening. Trump made a deal with Musk. Musk would put up the money along with some of the other oligarchs to buy the U.S. presidency and congress for Trump and the MAGAt (Republican) Party.  Trump, with their help, would transform America into an oligarch-owned and controlled pseudo-democracy. Musk would take the blame — why should he care, his wealth has made him an internationalist not a nationalist — and in return, he would get billions of dollars from government contracts (your tax dollars and mine) awarded to his companies. That was the calculation, but what Wisconsin has shown is that when American voters wake up this formula doesn’t work, and it has left Musk as a clown, and a growing liability for the MAGAts.

Susan Crawford has just defeated Brad Schimel Credit” PBS Wisconsin

Susan Crawford has won a seat on the Wisconsin Supreme Court, NBC News projects, allowing liberals to maintain their narrow majority on the battleground state’s highest court — and defying Elon Musk after he spent millions of dollars to oppose her.

Crawford, a Dane County circuit judge who was backed by Democrats, secured a 10-year term on the court over Brad Schimel, a Waukesha County circuit judge and a former Republican attorney general. As the first major battleground state election of President Donald Trump’s second term, the technically nonpartisan contest drew national attention and became the most expensive state Supreme Court race in U.S. history. 

The outcome is a setback for Trump and his billionaire adviser, Musk. Trump endorsed Schimel in the final stretch of the race, while Musk injected himself into the center of it, spending huge sums of money, visiting Wisconsin days out from Election Day and […]

Read the Full Article

1 Comment

Widespread firings start at federal health agencies including many in leadership

Stephan: 

Today psychopath “monarch” Trump gutted your healthcare. The result is going to be not just increased death, as Senator Bernie Sanders said, but a significant increase in avoidable injuries and illnesses. The lifespan of Americans is already seven years shorter than the citizens of other developed democracies, and I expect it will get even shorter. When you vote MAGAt (formerly Republican) you vote for misery and death.

Employees of the Department of Health and Human Services stand in line to enter the Mary E. Switzer Memorial Building on April 01, 2025 in Washington, DC. Widespread layoffs began Tuesday across the agency.
Credit: Kayla Bartkowski/Getty Images

The Trump administration began sending notices of termination to thousands of staffers at federal health agencies Tuesday, according to interviews with employees and officials at multiple agencies and e-mails reviewed by NPR.

The Department of Health and Human Services last week announced it planned to dismiss 10,000 people. These cuts come on top of around 10,000 people already leaving the agencies under the Trump administration’s Fork in the Road offer and early retirement.

Termination emails went out Tuesday morning to employees and leadership of agencies within HHS, the Food and Drug Administration, the National Institutes of Health, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as well as several smaller agencies.

Many of those workers only found out they had been fired when they tried to badge into the building after waiting in line and couldn’t get in, NPR learned from […]

Read the Full Article

No Comments

Sanders Says 67,000 Could Die Awaiting Benefits Under Musk Cuts to Social Security Administration

Stephan: 

As I am writing this the media is telling me that Republicans have won the two House races in Florida, a state where many people can’t get home insurance; where universities are having courses removed, and public school curricula is being altered from education to indoctrination; libraries are having books censured and removed; healthcare is being dismantled; and, elderly care is diminished. So what is the takeaway? The reasons America is becoming a second-class fascist state all trace back to American voters. In MAGAt government states Americans are voting for the MAGAt fascist coup to continue. They just voted for many people including young and elderly of both genders, and women who need medical care not to get the care they need, and often die.

U.S. Sen Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) listens during a Senate hearing on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C. on February 13, 2025.
Credit: Win McNamee / Getty

“Instead of focusing on delivering benefits to seniors and people with disabilities, President Trump and unelected billionaire Elon Musk are systematically dismantling SSA.”

As the Republican-controlled Senate Finance Committee on Tuesday prepared to advance Frank Bisignano, U.S. President Donald Trump’s nominee for Social Security Administration commissioner, a report from the office of Sen. Bernie Sanders warned that the number of people who will die waiting for benefits could more than double under a plan by Elon Musk’s Department of Government Efficiency to slash SSA staffing by up to 50%.

“Social Security is the most successful government program in our nation’s history. For more than 86 years, through good times and bad, Social Security has paid out every benefit owed to every eligible American on time and without delay,” states the report from Sanders (I-Vt.), the ranking member on the Senate Subcommittee on Social Security, Pensions, and Family Policy.

Noting that “Social Security lifts roughly 27 million […]

Read the Full Article

4 Comments